Saturday, November 3, 2012

So Happy November!

and How to renew your house hardware without spending a fortune to make it look like a fortune.

So I had a very ugly white furnace register and I was shopping online for a nice, decorative or even just one that wasn't white or that ugly brown they come in. We suffice it to say that they where around $200+ for the 20" x 20" I wanted. I was bummed for about a second, then I was struck with the obvious solution. I would do it myself, why not? And then I went to Walmart for some supplies...

I love Rust-oleum Hammered collection! I have  used this easy paint on numerous other metal projects. It is super easy to use. You dont need to sand or strip the paint that is already on it. I do reccommend however that if there is rust that you sand that off. Not that it won't cover it but the rust leaves the finish surface less to be desired.
 
 
 
I just layed down a sheet or a drop clothe and I took the hardware off the wall. I took a small peice of wood aslso so I could drill the screws from the register ion the wood so I could paint them as well. I sprayed the paint slowly and evenly until it was coated and nothing showed from beneath. Make sure to spray it at an angle so you get the grates coated as well or it with show the old color. You can do this for switch plates and outletplates as well. I happened to have an antique outlet plate I used so I didn't need to paint it.
 
 
Here is the picture of before I did the hardware.
 
 
And here is the finished wall..
 
Well yesterday I was quite the busy bee. I painted the wall in my family room finally. I had a bunch of color samples that I had painted on a few months ago to see which I liked. Well I hated all of them so I just went went with to dark shades of gray. This is the same pattern as above but different colors.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I also was like stir crazy and while I was waiting for the kids to get home from school I decided to organize my pantry herbs and spices. I just took a case of Ball glass Jars and a great website, ElephantShoe, has great free label downloads. See below.
 
 





I also promised to show you the bed I made Patrick for our 6th anniversary. I wanted it to be special because this is our first actual "bed' I used to sleep with our mattresses on a metal frame and I would make a headboard when I felt the need. I am not one for all matching furniture in my bedrrom and all the beds in California where either very boring or very gaudy. Here in New York, I had all the resources to make it myself.

I was able to find an awesome Amish family that had a sawmill on his property and was able to cut my CHERRY wood rough cut style with the bark still attatched. I then cut some Birch down from my 4 acres of land. With the help of my awesome father who used the saw for me, We created the image in my head. A four post rustic style bed with a slice of my eclectic style. We even made the slats to hold the mattresses. I love it. Patrick loves it




 
 
Stay tuned I am doing to refinish a very old bench/sofa from the eighteen hundreds, I would way 1870. I am very excited. I will start on it tomorrow and I will also make a post on how to make amazing Four Berry Jam.
 
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment